Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Saguaro National Park

We left this morning to go into town to find a salon where I could get my hair cut. That's one of the hardest things about his lifestyle is finding a good hairdresser in a strange town. I lucked out and found a good one today. Anyway, I have learned to grab my camera every time we leave the campground because I never know where we will end up. Bob despises sitting around the campground and if he gets a chance to go somewhere he's all for it. So, I grabbed my camera and off we went to Benson, the next town from here. I get my hair cut and then Bob wants to go to Subway for lunch. We leave Subway and I can tell he's just itching to go somewhere. So, I get our GPS out to find something within a reasonable distance. We ended up going to Tucson to the Saguaro National Park - East (there are actually 2 parks that are about 30 miles apart and we ran out of time to go to the 2nd one today). Bob bought his Golden Age Passport for the National Parks when we were in Florida last winter, so all the National Parks are now free for us. What a great $10.00 investment - being an old fart does have it's rewards. I sure learned a lot about the Saguaro cacti and other things while we were there. For instance - it takes the Saguaros several decades to grow to 6' and they have such a small root system that they grown an "arm" in whatever direction they need it to balance the plant and keep it from falling over. I thought that was fascinating. The picture on the bottom right shows some baseball-sized holes in it which are made by Gila Woodpeckers and Gilded Flickers. The clouds were pretty low today and the Rincon Mountains were a great background.


When we left the park we drove Beaudry's RV Park and the Camping World store in Tucson. It was cool out today and it rained for about 1 1/2 minutes while we were on our way to the park.
It was another interesting day in our vagabond lives. With Bob around...who knows what tomorrow will bring!





No comments: