Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Weeki Wachee Springs State Park

Since today was our anniversary, we decided that spending the afternoon at Weeki Wachee Springs would be a nice way to celebrate. This park is only about 12 miles from our park and we've driven by it dozens of times during our visits to this area, but today was the 1st time we've gone there. I remember my Grandma going here back in the 1950's and I thought it was just magical at that time. It's been open since 1947 and the spring is the deepest one in the country. They know it is at least 400 ft. deep. I have to say that Florida has some of the most unique and diverse State Parks that we have ever seen. We saw 2 mermaid shows, "Fish Tails" and "The Little Mermaid". We also went on a boat cruise on the Weeki Wachee River where we saw several birds, turtles and fish. The river is crystal clear and goes out to the Gulf of Mexico at Bayport. We had a great time at the park, until we left the 2nd show and I ended up tripping over a rubber mat, fell and hit the back of my head on the fence and bit my tongue. I had a goose egg on the back of my head that was about 3" long, 1" wide and an inch high. It hurt like hell! We capped the day off by having a wonderful dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Other than my fall, it was an excellent day!


The Fountain at Weeki Wachee Springs


This peacock turned his back to me and spread his plumage.
I said, "Turn around" and HE DID! ;-) Bob was cracking up.


Here's his front view.


An eagle in a tree on the river.



Another bird and nest in a tree.


A blue heron "puffing out" his feathers.



The Little Mermaid's best friend.

2 Mermaids swimming with turtles.

The Little Mermaid & her boyfriend.

The mean witch.

A
"God Bless The USA" song and "dance".

No comments: